Headlam Hall has achieved a silver award with Green Tourism.
The following steps have been taken to minimise our impact upon the environment.
- Minimise electric consumption by fitting LED light bulbs in the vast majority of areas within the hotel
- Have modern and efficient heating and cooling systems that are regularly maintained - the systems in the main hotel and spa offer the latest technology in oil boilers operating at over 90% efficiency and in accordance with the outside air temperature.
- Ensure a high level of insulation to minimise heat loss - we have installed some secondary double glazing in the main hall and high rated loft insulation. The spa building built in 2006 exceeded government insulation requirements making it an extremely efficient building.
- Encourage staff and guests to switch off lights and appliances when not in use - we have a 'green tips' section in our bedroom folders listing simple measures that do not detract from the guests experience.
- Recycle our waste - all cardboard is bailed on site and collected for recycling as are bottles. Waste oil from the kitchens is converted into diesel engine fuel and organic waste from the kitchens goes for compost in our gardens.
- Use local suppliers for all goods whenever possible to reduce delivery miles - produce such as meat, vegetables, dairy, eggs and seafood all come from the local region.
- Grow fruit and vegetables in our own gardens for use in the restaurant.
- Use recycled products when suitable - toilet paper, bin bags and some paper products.
- Promotion of wildlife - the golf course has over 1500 recently planted trees as well as 'wildlife protected areas', the green keeping methods on the course employ low chemical techniques and the farm participates in the Countryside Stewardship Scheme.
- Avoid split shifts for staff to minimise travel to and from work.
- Plastics policy - we are committed to significantly reduce plastic waste and have recently made changes that include: switching from milk in plastic cartons to reuseable glass bottles, changing the complimentary bathroom toiletries from single use small containers to refillable dispensers, changing from plastic straws to paper and only on request, use of Christmas crackers that are plastic free, changing the complimnetary plastic bedroom pens to a wooden pencil, removal of any plastic bottled drinks. In addition to these measures we are constantly looking at other ideas, specifically with regard to food packaging.
- Electric Car Charger Points - these are available on a complimentary basis to hotel residents during their stay.